Pella — 2 red or yellow onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup water
1 (12- to 15-pound) turkey, brined, rinsed, patted dry and stuffed
1 cup cranberry butter
6 cups stuffing (use your favorite recipe)
1 tablespoon coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Place onions, carrots, celery and water in the bottom of a roasting pan. Set aside.
3. Starting at the neck of the turkey, use fingers to gently seperate the skin from the breast, creating a pocket above each breast.
4. Stuff 1/2 cup cranberry butter under the skin into the pockets and spread out evenly.
5. If cooking the turkey with stuffing, add to turkey cavity.
6. Pat skin of turkey dry with paper towel. Smear remaining 1/2 cup cranberry butter over skin.
7. Use kitchen twine to tie legs together. Tuck loose skin around the neck under the turkey. Tuck wings under as well. Place turkey in roasting pan on top of vegetables.
8. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Place turkey in oven to roast.
9. Roast until meat thermometer reads 160F at the thickest part of the thigh, about 3 to 31/2 hours. Baste with pan juices every 1/2 hour.
10. Increase temperature to 425F and cook another 20 minutes for crispy skin. Remove from oven. Lift turkey from pan and let rest on a cutting board about 20 to 30 minutes before carving.